Sunday, May 25, 2014

have been home from Afghanistan since April of 2008

have been home from Afghanistan since April of 2008 and subsequently retired from the United States Army. But on 23 July 2007 I completed my mid-tour leave with my family in Fort Worth, Texas, and boarded a flight out of Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport to return to my unit where I was assigned in Afghanistan. As we flew into twilight, I committed my thoughts to my wonderful wife into a spiral notebook I rediscovered today.
I have been asked many times why we are still in Afghanistan. In a word, it is all about home and those we love. Perhaps my words that night will help someone understand it better. The note written to my wife that evening follows:
"Cruising at 35,000 feet, four hours after our lift-off from D/FW, I find myself peering out at a quickly darkening sky with the last hint of orange fading on the western horizon. It reminds me that this day which started with you is now almost gone. The blackness of the east and fading blue of the west drive me to desire to hold onto what we have.
"There is a good reason for me to be here, speeding to a land of darkness and hatred spawned by a devilish religion and bloodthirsty people. My love for you, our children, and our country compel me on.
"I will keep my remembrance of your face, your eyes, and your smile before me until I may hold you in my arms once more.
"Kiss the children for me and keep faith with our hope for the future.
"Your adoring husband, somewhere over the night covered north lands of Canada on my way back to Afghanistan."
"Day is speeding away. The night quickly engulfs us."
Like · ·

No comments:

Post a Comment