Sunday, September 1, 2013

Obama said chill "You gonna get me impeached"': Jay-Z's gloating rap reply to fury over government-backed Cuban trip with wife Beyoncé

Obama said chill "You gonna get me impeached"': Jay-Z's gloating rap reply to fury over government-backed Cuban trip with wife Beyoncé

  • Rapper and mogul released song, Open Letter, Thursday following outrage from politicians over trip licensed by the Treasury Department
  • Republican members of Congress asked for information on what type of license they obtained
  • U.S. trade embargo against Cuba prevents most Americans from traveling to the island without a license granted by the U.S. government
  • Jay-Z also raps about his decision to sell his share of the Brooklyn Nets
By Reuters Reporter and Daily Mail Reporter
|
Boasting Jay-Z today took a swipe at critics of his and wife's Beyoncé's recent trip to Cuba in a swaggering new rap song.
The song, 'Open Letter' calls out the politicians who questioned the legality of the fifth anniversary vacation, which was approved by the Treasury Department, when the rapper says, 'Politicians never did s**t for me, except lie to me, distort history. They wanna give me jail time and a fine. Fine, let me commit a real crime.'
The song also includes lyrics boasting of his friendship with President Obama, adding: 'Obama said, 'Chill you're going to get me impeached.' You don't need this s**t anyway, chill with me on the beach.'
SCROLL DOWN FOR VIDEO
Fifth wedding anniversary: Beyoncé and Ja-Z pictured in Havana, Cuba as they strolled around the Old Town
Fifth wedding anniversary: Beyoncé and Ja-Z pictured in Havana, Cuba as they strolled around the Old Town
Famous friends: President Obama campaigned with Jay-Z and Bruce Springsteen last year prior to winning re-election
Famous friends: President Obama campaigned with Jay-Z and Bruce Springsteen last year prior to winning re-election

He also brags that he's a 'boy from the hood but got White House clearance.'
Obama's press secretary, Jay Carney, insisted that the White House had nothing to do with approving the trip.
'I guess nothing rhymes with Treasury,' he quipped.
'Because Treasury offers and gives licenses for travel, as you know, and the White House has nothing to do with it.'
When pressed by the reporter, Carney added:  'I am absolutely saying that the White House, from the president on down, had nothing to do with anybody's personal -- anybody's travel to Cuba.
'That is something that Treasury handles. It's a song. The president did not communicate with Jay-Z over this trip.'
 
Jay-Z continues to rap in the song that, 'I can turn Havana to Atlanta ... ballin’ too much they try to jam you.
'Y'all must wanna start a revolution. Whenever I'm threatened I start shooting,' he continues.
'I'm in Cuba I love Cubans. This communist talk is so confusing, when it's from China the very mic that I'm using.'
The track, which comes in under three minutes, was produced by Swizz Beatz and Timbaland.
Jay-Z also addresses his recent decision to sell his minority share of the Brooklyn Nets so that he can open up a sports management company.

'OPEN LETTER' FULL LYRICS

I done turned Havana to Atlanta
Guayabera shirts and bandanas
Every time you think they got me                       I switch the planna
Bulletproof this, radio scanners
Ballin' 'til they ban us
You gettin' too much bread, they try to jam you
Boy from the hood                                           But got White House clearance
Sorry y'all, I don't agree with y'all appearance
Politicians never did s**t for me
Except lie to me, distort history
Wanna give me jail time and a fine
Fine, let me commit a real crime
I might buy a kilo for Chief Keef
Out of spite, I just might flood these streets
Hear the freedom in my speech
Got an onion from Universal, read it and weep
Would've brought the Nets to Brooklyn for free
Except I made millions off it, you f***in' dweeb
I still own the building, I'm still keeping my seat
Y'all buy that bulls**t,                                   You'd better keep y'all receipt
Obama said 'Chill, you gonna get me impeached'
But you don't need this s**t anyway
Chill with me on the beach

Ya'll almost want to start a revolution
You know whenever I'm threatened,                  I start shooting, bark
Catch a body, head to Houston
I'm in Cuba, I love Cubans
This communist talk is so confusing
When it's from China, the very mic that I'm using
Idiot wind, the Bob Dylan of rap music
You're an idiot, baby, you should become a student
Oh, you gonna learn today
Where the f**k have you been
The world's under new management
The new role model, f**k this Zoolander s**t
'I woulda moved the Nets to Brooklyn for free / Except I made millions off you f***ing dweebs/ I still own the building / I'm still keeping my seats / You buy that bulls**t, you better keep your receipts.'
Jay-Z has signed Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano and New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz as his clients.
NBA rules prohibit a partial owner from also representing players in negotiations.
The trip to Cuba last week was fully licensed by the United States Treasury Department, according to a source familiar with the trip.

After the power couple celebrated their fifth wedding anniversary in Havana, Republican members of Congress asked for information on what type of license they obtained.

Their arrival drew in huge crowds of local fans as they strolled hand in hand through the city and posed for pictures with admiring Cubans.
But the longstanding U.S. trade embargo against Cuba prevents most Americans from traveling to the island without a license granted by the U.S. government.
However, Obama's administration has eased restrictions on travel to Cuba for academic, religious or cultural programs.
In a letter dated on Friday, U.S. Representatives Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and Mario Diaz-Balart, asked Adam Szubin, director of the Office of Foreign Assets Control, for "information regarding the type of license that Beyoncé and Jay-Z received, for what purpose, and who approved such travel."
Ros-Lehtinen and Mario Diaz-Balart represent districts in south Florida where there is a high Cuban-American population.
"Despite the clear prohibition against tourism in Cuba, numerous press reports described the couple's trip as tourism, and the Castro regime touted it as such in its propaganda," the letter said.
Questions: Reps. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (left) and Mario Diaz-Balart (right) contacted the Office of Foreign Assets Control at the Treasury Department, asking if the powercouple obtained the correct license to enter Cuba
Questions: Reps. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (left) and Mario Diaz-Balart (right) contacted the Office of Foreign Assets Control at the Treasury Department, asking if the powercouple obtained the correct license to enter Cuba
Questions: Reps. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (left) and Mario Diaz-Balart (right) contacted the Office of Foreign Assets Control at the Treasury Department, asking if the powercouple obtained the correct license to enter Cuba
'We represent a community of many who have been deeply and personally harmed by the Castro regime's atrocities, including former political prisoners and the families of murdered innocents.'
The song drew criticism for its apparent endorsement of the as Castro regime.
U.S.-Cuba Democracy PAC co-founder and director Mauricio Claver-Carone said rapper Ángel Yunier Remón Arzuaga was jailed last month in Cuba for protest lyrics against the Cuban government.
'It’s easy here in the freedom of the U.S. for Jay-Z to release a song full of bravado jabbing at his critics and President Obama, but in Cuba a young rapper Angel Remon Arzuaga, from the hip-hip duo ‘Los Hijos Que Nadie Quiso’ (‘The Unwanted Children’), is rotting away in prison for daring to criticize the Castro regime — that takes real bravado,' Claver-Carone told Politico.
Taking in the sights: The RnB power couple are seen strolling through the streets and talking to locals in Havana
Taking in the sights: The RnB power couple are seen strolling through the streets and talking to locals in Havana
Jay-Z has decided to sell his stake in the Brooklyn Nets so that he can open up a sports management company and represent players
Jay-Z has decided to sell his stake in the Brooklyn Nets so that he can open up a sports management company and represent players

No comments:

Post a Comment